Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Old traditions.

A few weeks ago, I tried to make something it seems my whole family can make and has been making forever. Tortillas. And y'all it was so so hard for me. I think I made maybe 10 and then gave up. Believe it or not, 10 took me well over an hour to roll out and cook. 

I've only done them twice (and watched Trey once) but here's what we've learned:

1. Sometimes the ready mix is just way easier than trying to do it from scratch (we used this mix)
2. Remember to get whatever you're cooking your tortillas on hot prior to trying to cook them. Unless you want them to come out super hard in the end, warm that stove up!
3. If you're anything like me, your tortillas might come out looking like maps instead of circles, and that's okay. Roll more out and move on ;)
4. Flour your cutting board, counter or whatever flat surface you're about to roll the tortillas on. You don't have to use a lot, but it definitely helps to have some flour down so your dough isn't sticking.
5. Don't get discouraged! I don't think anyones tortillas came out perfect on their first few several tries. That's normal. It doesn't make you any less domestic, it just means you need practice. Believe me. I've had to tell myself this plenty of times. 

We got our rolling pin from Brookshire's in town for around $8. You don't need anything fancy, an inexpensive one will work just fine. I'm telling you, our burrito and quesadilla lovin hearts were SO happy. Thanks, momma for telling us about this mix. Way easy!

Happy Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment