Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Radio Wednesday

Hello all,

I know (like I said last week) Wednesday is supposed to be 'wordless' but I couldn't help it.. again.

When I got to work, I had to run to the back warehouse to get some paperwork and as I walked by our shop guy's station, I saw his little, black radio. I could faintly hear sound coming from it. I walked a little closer just to hear what was playing, and heard a man say, "It's turned out to be one fine Wednesday morning.." His voice trailed off the further I walked away, but a feeling of the 5 year old Vicky washed over me. I felt like I was little again, walking out to the back where my dad's big shed was, walking passed the sounds of saws, drills and that little, black radio.

Today, we are overwhelmed with the options of Mac or PC, apple or android, fighting over which "smart" phone is the best - when we all know they're all better than those old Nokia bricks we each started out with.

I'm stressed when my iPad mini takes a little too long to load something and annoyed that the 4G in my small town isn't as fast as the lightning speed LTE in the city. There is such a demand to be out in the world by social media. IT has totally taken us by storm. It thinks faster than we do and demands our attention, stealing it away from all of our loved ones, puppies included.

I had a thought while coming back to my office. Why don't we have old radios anymore?

Is it because they aren't fancy enough to show off to people when they walk into our houses for the first time? Is it because they look outdated and something that our grandparents would love? Several months ago, my dad went to this woman's house with my husband, my mom and I to pick up an old radio that she was giving away for FREE. Yes, you read right, free. I couldn't believe it. Surely it would be falling apart and ugly, right? Wrong. It was beautiful. She simpy said she didn't want it because it would cost more to fix it than it was worth.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

So, here's to all of the people who still love old radios, record players, and those who don't constantly have their faces glued to the newest iPhone -- we still love you, though :)






 






2 comments:

  1. Oh how ilove those old radios. I have an old one myself and its definately and beauty and conversation piece in my house. :)

    love you sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you more.
    and love your radio, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete